Years ago, while on the quest for answers to the extreme health issues I was experiencing, I saw a mold doctor.
Fortunately, I was able to see Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker. Dr Shoemaker is a pioneer doctor regarding mold and the way it affects the human body; his knowledge on the subject extends far beyond any other health professional I have come across. He has written multiple books and trained doctors all over the world in his protocol for treating mold illness. Dr Shoemaker began to educate me on CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome) as well as how easily and quickly any kind of mold exposure could effect the human body.
I completed several tests for mold toxicity and got my home tested professionally. Thankfully, mold was not a major issue in my residence, however my tests showed that my body was struggling with toxins. To help my body detox, I tried a variety of treatments, including infrared sauna, colonics, and cleanses for liver, intestines, and colon. Several years afterwards, I tested positive for Lyme disease and finally had a concrete answer for why I was so incredibly sick and toxic.
Thanks to Dr Shoemaker however, I became aware of the deadly effects of mold toxicity in the human body. It continues to amaze me how little heed people pay to this illness, even though practically every human being in the modern age has been exposed to toxic spores.
What is mold illness and what are the symptoms?
Mold illness is a biotoxic illness. The toxins you are exposed to cause chronic inflammation, and affect multiple systems in your body. The following are symptoms you may experience after being exposed to mold:
♦Fatigue ♦Weakness ♦Aches ♦Muscle Cramps ♦Unusual Pain ♦Ice Pick Pain ♦Headache ♦Light Sensitivity ♦Red Eyes ♦Blurred Vision ♦Tearing ♦Sinus Problems ♦Cough ♦Shortness of Breath ♦Abdominal Pain ♦Diarrhea ♦Joint Pain ♦Morning Stiffness ♦Memory Issues ♦Focus/Concentration Issues ♦Word Recollection Issues ♦Decreased Learning of New Knowledge ♦Confusion ♦Disorientation ♦Skin Sensitivity ♦Mood Swings ♦Appetite Swings ♦Sweats (especially night sweats) ♦Temperature Regulation or Dysregulation Problems ♦Excessive Thirst ♦Increased Urination ♦Static Shocks ♦Numbness ♦Tingling ♦Vertigo ♦Metallic Taste ♦Tremors
These symptoms can vary from day to day and are often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and allergies.
So how common is mold exposure?
Many believe that their home is safe, reasoning that if no hurricanes have hit down recently and flooded their basements, no mold can grow. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Any type of dampness can cause spores to grow.
Aside from obvious damp places such as your shower, plumbing problems or leaking roofs can lead to mold toxins growing behind drywall, under carpet or in wood. Even dry regions, such as the mid-west, report large amounts of mold. One study showed that Christmas trees can breed mold, releasing millions of spores into the atmosphere. In one cubic foot of indoor air, it is not uncommon to find THOUSANDS of mold spores floating around!
Another common theory is that only black mold causes health issues. Again, this is far from true. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, ALL MOLDS have the potential to cause illness.
Mold is classified into three groups:
Common indoor mold varieties include:
If you can check off any of the following items in the checklist, chances are, you have mold issues.
Checklist was gathered from www.jillcarnahan.com.
Do musty odors bother you?
Have you worked or lived in a building where the air vents or ceiling tiles were discolored?
Have you noticed water damage or discoloration elsewhere?
Has your home been flooded?
Have you had leaks in the roof?
Do you experience unusual shortness of breath?
Do you experience recurring sinus infections?
Do you experience recurring respiratory infections and coughing?
Do you have frequent flu-like symptoms?
Do your symptoms worsen on rainy days?
Do you have frequent headaches?
Are you fatigued and have a skin rashes?
Did any of those apply to you? Are you experiencing any of the symptoms associated with mold? Then my friend, mold illness may be an issue for you. Thankfully, there are easy ways to determine if mold is, indeed, affecting your body.
Check out these articles regarding the blood tests available for mold testing and what they will actually measure: http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests and http://moldvictim.org/lab-tests-to-help-doctors-diagnose-mold-illness/
There is even an online screening test available, starting at $15, to help determine if neurological functions are less than normal (a common occurrence with mold illness). Click on http://www.survivingmold.com/store1/online-screening-test to try it, or check out https://www.vcstest.com/ for more information regarding this test.
If you are not ready to take a test but would like to read more on this subject, I recommend the following articles:
If you are interested in reading a book on this subject, Dr Shoemaker has written Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings. You can also check out his website, www.survivingmold.com. Remember, it is always best to do your own research; after all, you know your body best!
If you want to avoid mold in the future, I highly recommend getting an air purifier. This will help to cleanse your environment and provide a safe place for you to come home to, if you absolutely have to expose yourself to moldy areas (at work, school, or during travels).
Have you had any experience with mold illness? I would love to hear your stories, and find out what worked for you!
Check out my recent blog posts: